Welcome to My Classroom!

I have to say that I LOVE my classroom this year!  I don't know what it is, it just works for me.  I used the same Eric Carle theme as last year, but it just feels different this year.  I love the colors, the setup and the open feeling I have when I walk in my room.  I'd love to show you around.

This is what I started with after my room was cleaned.
 
My awesome helper!
Bathroom storage
So after taking a deep breath or 2 I just got busy.  I always start with my big furniture set-up.  I need to have a "space plan" that I like before I get to the decorating part.  This year, it took a couple days of moving and rearranging before I got something I really liked.  I also try to be very purposeful with my space.
 
Here's the view from outside the door.
The circle hanging on the right side is our Where Are We? chart.
You can see the edge of a tiered bookshelf on the left side.
This is for morning reading when the students arrive.  They
grab a book and read in the hallway.  I like that the kids can see
the books easily. 
 
The view from right inside the door.
Right behind the door is our new Magnet Center for
magnetic letters and numbers.  I really tried to use
the space that is generally unusable.

The back of the door has our How We Go Home
chart and our Clean-up Jobs for the end of the day.
Now let's start walking to the left and I'll point out things as we go around the room!


Step inside and turn left to find our mailboxes.  I use these for
Take Home Folders.  I teach the students on Day 1 how to find
their slot and put their folder away when they unpack.
Keep Walking left to find this:

Left wall of room has student lockers.  Above the lockers is
my number and color wall.  Since it is so high and hard to
get to, this wall doesn't change all year.
 
 
Our friendly caterpillar hangs in the corner over the lockers.
Above the lockers on the other side is a make shift bookshelf.
Last year I didn't pull out the books I wanted to teach with.
It was very difficult to find what I wanted, when I wanted it.  This
year I have them organized by subject and theme.  It's already
made things easier.

The front left corner of the classroom has this shelf.  It holds
all our Language Arts manipulatives.  The white drawers will
be our Word Work tubs.

Same view from further back.  Notice the ABC
chart on the wall.  This is right next to the lockers
and will be a Word Work Center.

My birthday display is on the wall above the ABC chart.


Here's the front middle of the room.  I extend my bulletin boards with fabric
so that the only part of my white board showing is where my projector hits.
This is more than enough space for me.
The extra space on the front bulletin boards will be for anchor charts that we are using. 
 
Right before school started I got a new friend for the front of the room.
 
The front right corner looks like this:
 
This is our classroom library.  My Mom had a Hungry Caterpillar comforter
that she wanted to get rid of.  I think it's just perfect as a rug!  I did put some
of the "no slip" stuff under it to help hold it in place.  I love the Eric Carle book
covers on the wall and hanging from the ceiling.  The white drawers on
against the wall will be our Math Tubs.
The right wall, next to the library is our Word Wall and computer station.
Next to the computers is a shelf that holds all our Math manipulatives, puzzles
and games.  The empty shelves on the bottom will be for book boxes.  I like
to spread them out around the room so the students are not all going to the same
place at the same time.  The black frames on the window are all of my class
pictures from previous years.  The kids get so excited when I add their frame
at the end of the year.
Along the back wall is the bathroom and then this little table.  This is the
Science Discovery Station during our Math/Science centers and the Writing
Station during our Literacy block.  I am all about dual purposes!
Right in the middle of the back wall is the
closet.  I decided to display Star Quality
Work here.  The bottom will be for anchor charts.
 
The side of the cabinet is where I display our
Class Helpers. 
 
Next comes my teaching table.  I am in love with my new stools that I redid
this summer.  Inside is storage for my centers that I am not using.  I have one
of the colorful rainbow carts behind the table.  These will be for storing books
and supplies for reading groups. 
  
The remaining part of the back wall is a sink and counter space.  I obviously
took this picture before I finished cleaning!  I am using the small pocket charts
to display our weekly objectives. 
 
Under the counter space I have open shelves for storage.  I covered
them with the blue fabric.  I am using a section of this space for
my Poetry Center.
 
Got a little distracted one day and decided to organize my construction paper.  I found
a wire rack that is used to hold file folders.  (Usually stands up on a desk).  Instead of
throwing it away I bent the legs up, hot glued it to the back of the cabinet and used it for
construction paper.  I love being able to grab just what I need without rearranging an entire
stack.  All my school supplies and art supplies are in the cabinets above the counter.
 So that above covers the perimeter of the room.  So what's in the center of the room?  Not too much actually.  The desks are put into 3 tables.  Tables 1 and 2 are on the left side of the room by the lockers.  Table 3 is on the right side of the room near the computers.  The middle of the room looks like this:
 
The front is our large carpet where we do most of our whole group meeting
times.  Behind that is a small shelf with supplies for our Building Center. 
 
Out in the hallway, I have started my bulletin board.  Right now it looks like this:
 
I will be adding the students pictures and decorated clothes pins to hold their work.  Last year I got tired of stapling and pulling out staples, so I decided to do something different this year.  I love the way the clothes pins turned out.
 
I love that this washi tape just looks like the Eric Carle dots!
 Well, that's about it.  I hope you enjoyed the picture tour of the room.