Blog Swap Sunday with Charlene


I am so excited to have Charlene here today for Blog Swap Sunday.  I know you will love hearing her story as much as I did. 

Hi. My name is Charlene, aka Diamond Mom, and I am very excited to be sharing with you today. Thank you Amy for allowing me to be a guest blogger.
I have decided to share with you a bit about my whirlwind adventure into the blogging world.



Kindergarten, First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, Twelfth - TeachersPayTeachers.com


I stumbled onto Teachers Pay Teachers last fall when I was looking for some new ideas for starting up my year. I was surprised and excited to see that teachers were sharing their material with other teachers. I started as a buyer, and then decided that I should try to post some of my materials as well. After all, I had been creating my own materials for quite awhile and giving them out to my friends, so why not see if anyone else would be interested in them. I began by posting freebies. I wasn't sure if my products were worthy of being paid for.

Picture
Here is one of my most popular freebies.
I still remember the feeling I had when I got my first sale. It was a combination of excitement and disbelief. Someone actually found me and wanted something I had created.


Picture
Next, I started reading blogs. I don't know why I hadn't been aware of them earlier, but I discovered them through links on the TpT site. It didn't take long before I was hooked. I started to wonder if I could create a blog. That was a dangerous thought.

I had no idea what I was doing, but I took the leap and I am now fully immersed in the blogging world. My husband thinks I am crazy, but I just love it. I have so much to learn, but I keep plodding on.

Many bloggers have helped me along the way, too many to name,  but I need to thank Charity Preston for introducing me to Teaching Blog Traffic School. I have only made it halfway through all the videos and tutorials, but I have learned so much from her.


Starting a blog can be scary, but I have one thing to say about it.
Do it!
Don't be afraid to ask others for help. They are so generous about sharing ideas and suggestions with you. I have yet to meet someone who hasn't been welcoming or helpful. I have made so many friends that I would love to meet face to face one day. This is a community of caring people. I guess that is what makes them special teachers.


Picture

Also, don't feel that you need to be like everyone else. Each person is special and unique in their own way. Share from you heart and let your specialness shine through. If you write about what is important to you, you will find an audience that wants to follow along with you. It may take time, but it is worth it. Focus on your content, not your numbers.

I am just a little blogger in the blogging world, but I am so grateful for the people who have chosen to follow me and I am humbled that they feel I have something worth reading about. That is more important to me than trying to get big numbers. It took me awhile to figure that out, but I have learned to be true to me.

I admit, sometimes I still get a bit discouraged when I see others are moving quickly and they have so many followers, but then I remind myself that I need to be patient, continue to be true to myself, and share quality material. The followers will come, and the cool thing is, they will be loyal because I did take that time to share a piece of me.



Picture

My power word is "Believe" and I have a little mirror frame in my bedroom that says "Believing makes miracles happen".
Believe in yourself and remember you are special. There is nobody else out there who is just like you.

I wish you much success in your teaching this year.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Hop on over to my blog if you would like to find out more about what is happening in my teaching world, or even in my other world.
Thanks Charlene!  I can identify in many ways with your story.  For me blogging has been a bit therapeutic.  I have truly loved the time of self reflection that has come from blogging and I believe it has made me a better teacher.  If you are thinking about the idea of starting a blog, I agree with Charlene - Just Do It!