Live from Las Vegas its Wednesday Night (with a 2 day wrap-up)


What a great Tuesday and Wednesday!  It has been two filled days and I feel like I have so much to share, but I'm so tired too!  In the next few weeks I will be doing single posts dedicated to the gems of information I learned at I Teach K!  If I mention something and you would like more information please let me know and I am glad to share!
I started my Tuesday morning off with Shari Sloan and it was FAN-TAS-TIC!  The session was on incorporating common core standards (or for me TEKS) into calendar time.  Let me just say, I really loved my calendar time because my kids got soooooo good at things like graphing and math talk.  But, I've got nothing on Shari Sloan!  I have been thinking about using calendar notebooks with my students so that everyone is working together - but now I know that I WILL BE using calendar notebooks.  I am convinced that you can teach almost all of your math standards just through calendar!  What a great way to tie those standards to real life too!  I will be doing a future post on the calendar notebook, but if you'd like to check it out you must go and visit these 2 webpages.  They are filled - I mean FILLED - with excellent and free resources! Total side note - but at the blogger meet-up on Tuesday night I won a door prize - a Shari Sloan CD!!!  So excited!


This is Shari's webpage.  Just scroll down the list of topics on the left until
you find calendar book.  But check the other great resources too!

More great calendar book resources!

Also on Tuesday I went to a very informative session on including students with Autism Spectrum Disorder in the classroom.  There is a very high probability that I will be using this information this year.  What I loved about this session was the practical suggestions for helping these students become an integral part of your classroom and successful in learning.  The golden nuggets that I took away from this session were to have Planned Proactive Prevention and to remember to Behavior is Communication. 

Today I attended 4 amazing sessions!  Two by Deanna Jump from Mrs. Jump's Class, one by Kim Adsit of Kindergals and one by the tech guru John Fines aka Piggy #5 from the Debbie Clement video on Monday.  (If you have not see that - you must stop now and go watch. Click here!) 

I have really tried to attend sessions that covered my personal to do list to be a better teacher.  That list includes guided reading and learning more about calendar notebooks.  These were the two main areas I wanted to improve in.  Does that mean I am great at everything else - no way!  But I have gotten to a point in my life where I am learning to be practical and realistic and I know what I can and can't accomplish in the summer.  I would much rather meet my goal of improving these two areas instead of looking back at the summer and saying "Oh man, I only did 10 of the 157 things on my to do list."  I feel like my sessions in the last two days have helped me in my quest toward these two goals.

OK, I feel like I am rambling.  Probably because I am so tired.  So let's just end with a fun picture and I promise more meaty info is to come.



Not bad for not knowing what I was doing!  Thank you Star Trek
slot machine!