It's Blog Swap Sunday with Sara V.



I am so excited to be kicking off Blog Swap Sunday as an official part of my blog!  Starting us off is Sara from Miss V's Busy Bees.  Sara is taking over Teaching in Blue Jeans today and I am guest blogging on her site.  After reading what Sara has for us here, head over and read my post all about the Power of the First Impression.  I am so excited to share with you Sara's post. 

Hey y'all! I'm Sara from Miss V's Busy Bees.
Miss V's Busy Bees
I'm just your average gal with a variety of ideas bunched up in my head! I just recently graduated from college a little over a year ago and am now working on my Master's degree in Classroom Technology. It's been a lot of trial and error since then, but I'm only 3 classes away from getting my Master's degree! WOOHOO!

In the bloggy world, you'll find me giving out ideas on loads of topics, especially technology. You'll also find me joining up with a variety of linky parties, talking about my cat & dogs, talking about my personal life & all the connections I've made, or even find me talking about recipes and crafts I've made!

So, to tell you a little bit more about who I am. We moved from Ohio to Alabama in November so I haven't had the chance to have my own classroom yet, but hopefully this fall! My dream grade is 2nd, 3rd, or 4th, but at this point, I'll go anywhere! Knowing that, I'd like to talk to you about a variety of my favorite classroom management techniques I've read all about using the fantastic social media tool, Pinterest :) With the new year coming up, I figured some fresh, new classroom management techniques might be perfect to discuss!

*PARTY PUFFS*
First up, I'm sure you've seen the Warm & Fuzzy pins floating around Pinterest. When someone does something that's warm (being kind to one another, for example), they get a fuzzy and get to place it in the jar.
{SOURCE}
Well, I wanted to adapt this concept to a whole class reward system, kind of like we used in my 2nd Grade Internship. Instead of the rocks we used in that placement, I am using pom-poms you can find at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or any other craft store.
{SOURCE}
Students are able to hold one another accountable for behaving properly, being quiet when they are to be quiet, being respectful in the hallway to other classes, and so forth. When the jar fills up (there are 100 puffs in here), the class gets some sort of reward - a party, a wear-your-PJs-to-school day, and so forth. Just a way to keep each other in line and respectful to others!

*BEACH BUCKS*
This system was created by Miss Corinna over at Surfin' Through Second. She's one of the most fantastic women I have ever met and is so creative - she came up with the idea of integrating a system where students are rewarded for their good behavior, deeds, and ideas... WITH MONEY! I mean, who isn't motivated by money anymore these days? You see that washi tape over there... YUP I'm motivated to work so I can buy it ;)
Anyways, in Corinna's pack, students are not only working to gain money as a reward, but they are learning about money at the same time. Talk about a double whammy!

In the pack, there is an extreme emphasis on jobs in the classroom. Some of the students are actually money collectors (those who want to go to the bathroom or get a drink pay the monitors to go... cutting down on those non-sense leaving the classroom for no reason trips)!

There are SO many other aspects to this fantastic pack, but what I really like is the integration of both positive and negative reinforcements. If students don't do something as they are supposed to (not turn in homework, not behave, etc), they can get bucks taken away. What a great economics lesson!

*TICKET OUT THE DOOR*
This concept is great for holding each student individually responsible for completing an assignment. As students leave to go to lunch or to go home, they must answer a question on a 3x3 post it note and put it on the chart as a "ticket out the door" or "exit ticket."
{SOURCE}
This process not only alerts you as the teacher who has not completed the ticket out the door (their post it note will be missing), but it also lets you know who needs more help on specific topics/content. It can act as mini assessment, per say. The creator of this specific chart has said that she finds her students are more motivated to do their work because this is how they get out the door to go to things on time. What a great way to encourage students to complete their work in a specific amount of time! Maybe a place to integrate some beach bucks??? :)

*HOMEWORK CLUB*
Students participate in this club as a monthly reward - if students turn in their homework every day for the month, their name/number stays on the board. If they do not, it is taken off and they cannot join the homework club again until the next month. Those who are still on the board at the end of the month receive some sort of reward - lunch with the teacher (kiddos LOVE this) or anything else that you can think of as the teacher.
  
                            {SOURCE}                                                           {SOURCE}
Then, Molly from Lessons with Laughter (the pan on the left), also does a homework club that is YEARLY. At the end of the year, if a student turns in their homework on time ALL. YEAR. LONG. they are invited to a year end party! She does a pizza and movie party, but of course you do with this as you please.

Personally, I like Tara's pan (the pan on the right) because she uses numbers instead of pictures. It allows for some anonymity in the classroom environment but each students is aware of their own number. BUT both are great concepts for the classroom environment and holding students accountable for doing their homework outside of school.

SO, what kinds of classroom management tools do YOU use in your classroom? I'd love to find some more to integrate into my classroom :)

Amy, thank you SO much for swapping blogs today! I truly appreciate you allowing me the opportunity to interact with your readers.

Feel free to check out my Pinterest boards by clicking the button below for more classroom management & classroom-in-general ideas!
Have a good day, y'all!







Thank you so much Sara!  My mind is spinning on ways I can incorporate some of those into my classroom.  Man, I never thought I'd say this but I wish we had required homework in kindergarten!  Love that idea!  What a great way to kick off Blog Swap Sunday!  If you are interested in taking over Teaching in Blue Jeans on a Sunday or swapping blogs with me, check out the tab above to sign-up!  I love the potential behind being able to share and collaborate with other teachers.



Labels: , ,